JOHOR BARU – Three government offices in Johor Bahru received fake bomb threats sent by email in the early hours of February 12.
Johor Bahru South police assistant chief Raub Selamat said officers noticed the emails after returning to work from vacation.
“Emails have been sent to the Johor Bahru City Council (MBJB), the Johor Police Department and the Johor Judicial Complex.
“So far, we have received police reports (only) from the Johor police headquarters and MBJB,” he said when contacted.
ACP Raub added that the email was likely sent by the same person using the same email address and text.
“We cleared and conducted checks at the MBJB office, while the police headquarters and court complex deployed their own emergency response team.
“So far, we have not found anything suspicious, and I called on members of the public to remain calm,” he added.
ACP Raub added that the case is being investigated under Section 506 of the Penal Code for criminal intimidation and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act for the offense of misuse of network facilities.
Earlier, MBJB’s corporate and public affairs department said the agency had received a bomb threat via email.
The email arrived in the morning and was sent under the name “Takahiro Karawasa”.
“Following the email, the council lodged a report with the Johor Bahru South District Police Office.
“All staff and members of the public have been asked to evacuate the Menara MBJB building and wait in the assembly area at noon until the police check is complete,” it said.
The report adds that about 500 people were in the building at the time of the incident.
“Citizens and staff were allowed to re-enter the building at 2pm and resume business as usual.
“Police have confirmed that the threat was false and Menara MBJB is safe to operate,” it said, adding that operations are being carried out as usual during business hours.
Similar bomb threat emails sent under the same name “Takahiro Karawasa” were also delivered to government offices in the Philippines in 2024 and in Korea in August 2023.
In response to the emails sent in 2023, Mr Karawasa, who is actually a lawyer in Japan, took to social networking site X, formerly known as Twitter, to air his grievances.
“This is wrong. I believe that my name is being misused without my permission. Some extremists commit such crimes because in Japan such offenses are sometimes not regulated,” The Korea Times quoted him as saying in its post. – THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK