The fire in Bedok North in the early hours of February 13 was likely caused by a battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle (PAB) that was being charged, the Singapore Civil Defense Force (SCDF) said.
IN Facebook post On the same day, SCDF said it was alerted to a fire at Unit 202 Bedok North Street 1 at 3.45am.
The fire in the common corridor near the 11th floor apartment was caused by an electric bicycle and was extinguished by firefighters from Changi Fire Station using a fire extinguisher.
The occupants of the apartment were evacuated before SCDF arrived.
Three of them were tested for smoke inhalation and two were taken to Singapore General Hospital. The third person refused hospitalization.
Photos released by the SCDF show a charred PAB in a burnt corridor.
To prevent such fires, we remind you not to charge device batteries for long periods of time or leave them charging overnight.
Also, do not buy or use non-genuine batteries. Check out the accompanying infographic for more fire safety tips.